Logo
DeutschClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings
Betz, P. and van Meyer, L. and Eisenmenger, Wolfgang (1994): Fatalities due to intestinal obstruction following the ingestion of foreign bodies. In: Forensic Science International, Vol. 69, No. 2: pp. 105-110
[img]
Preview

PDF

343kB

Abstract

Two fatalities due to an occlusive ileus following the ingestion of foreign bodies in patients with psychiatric disorders are described. A severely mentally handicapped young man developed a temperature and died 1 h after admission to a surgical ward. At autopsy, not, vert, similar 2000 cm3 of foreign material, including broken glass and porcelain, branches, buttons, parts of clothing and other material were found in the gastrointestinal tract, leading to a complete obstruction of the distal intestine and colon with resulting faecal vomiting. The other case was even more unusual as a hair fetishist had swallowed a thick strand of his own hair, 50 cm long, also resulting in mechanical obstruction of the distal intestine.